STAR-SEAL is a heavy-duty, Refined Tar emulsion (water based) sealcoating specifically designed to protect and beautify asphalt pavements. Based on carefully selected grades of Refined Tar, minerals, specialty additives and performance boosters, STAR-SEAL has an extraordinary degree of toughness and water repellency, unmatched by any competitive sealer. STAR-SEAL forms a tough, durable and flexible coating that protects asphalt pavements from the damaging elements of weather, water penetration, de-icing salts, traffic damage, surface raveling/checking, gasoline and other petrochemicals. The combination of state-of-the-art technology in manufacturing and raw material selection translates into the following:
• Outstanding Toughness and Durability – STAR-SEAL is widely know as the workhorse of the industry when it comes to the protection and preservation of asphalt surfaces.
• Superior Flexibility – Ability to bridge minor surface (non-working) cracks in the pavement to eliminate water penetration and extend the life of asphalt surfaces.
• Beautifies While It Protects – Dries to an appealing dark charcoal color that enhances the value of the property. Snow removal becomes easier and traffic markings last longer.
STAR-SEAL is recommended for all asphalt pavements; home driveways, commercial parking lots, apartment complexes, restaurants, schools, gas stations, truck terminals, airfields/taxiways/airport shoulders, and many more.
MIX DESIGN RECOMMENDATIONS
Important – All mix designs must include clean, quartz, angular sand
|STAR-SEAL||100 Gal.||100 Liters|
|Water (Clean, Potable)||30-35 Gal.||30-35 Liters|
|Sand/Aggregate 50-70 AFS*||300-500 Lbs.||36-60 Kg.|
* Crushed slag (i.e. Black Beauty) may be used as the aggregate, provided
it is clean, angular and within 50-70 AFS gradation.
The use of an additive is optional, follow STAR’s recommendations
Must be applied to structurally sound pavements. Do not apply over chip seal or gilsonite sealed surfaces. The application rates shall be dictated by the traffic pattern and usage.
1. For Low to Medium Traffic Areas Apply Two (2) Coats:
a) Concentrated Sealer – the total coverage rate of 0.18 – 0.20 Gal./ Sq. Yd. or 45 – 50 Sq. Ft./Gal. (1.1 – 1.22 Sq. Meter/Liter). b) Mixed Sealer – 0.27 – 0.30 Gal./Sq. Yd. or 30 – 33 Sq. Ft./Gal. (0.73 – 0.81 Sq. Meter/Liter).
2 For High Traffic Areas Apply Three (3) Coats:
a) Concentrated Sealer – the total coverage rate of 0.25 – 0.28 Gal./ Sq. Yd. or 32 – 36 Sq. Ft./Gal. (0.8 – 0.9 Sq. Meter/Liter). b) Mixed Sealer – 0.38 – 0.42 Gal./Sq. Yd. or 21 – 24 Sq. Ft./Gal. (0.51 – 0.59 Sq. Meter/Liter).
• Use conventional tools; Brush, rubber squeegee or spray rig.
• Clean up with Water. Do not discard washings in the bodies of water or down sewer drains.
• Dried sealer on tools – Wire brushing, scarping and peeling.
• Keep stored containers sealed tightly.
Cure time will vary according to temperature and humidity at the time of application. Insufficiently cured films wear prematurely. Lower temperatures, high humidity and lack of direct sunlight will prolong the cure time. Higher temperatures, lower humidity and direct sunlight accelerate the cure process. If a second coat is to be applied, allow the first coat to dry sufficiently to withstand light vehicular and pedestrian traffic without damaging or scuffing the coating. After the application of the last coat, allow the coating to cure at least 20-24 hours under good drying conditions.
Apply only on unsealed asphalt or surfaces previously sealed with either Asphalt Emulsion or Refined Tar based sealers. Do not apply over surfaces sealed with gilsonite and other solvent based seal coatings. New asphalt pavements must be allowed to cure at least 90 days in hot weather. Perform a water break free test to confirm that the surface oils have dissipated, by spreading water on the pavement. If the water does not bead, pavement is ready for seal-coating. Not recommended for steeply inclined surfaces, as they may become slippery when wet.
KEEP FROM FREEZING / KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN Contains REFINED COAL TAR. May cause skin irritation. Wear gloves and protective clothing. In case of contact, flush skin or eyes immediately with fresh water. If the product gets in the mouth or eyes see a physician immediately. Consult a Safety Data Sheet for details.
PACKAGING & AVAILABILITY
5-Gallon plastic pails, 55-gallon drums & 275-gallon plastic totes, and bulk at all STAR plant locations.
IMPORTANT WEATHER LIMITATIONS
- Surface and air temperature should be a min. 50° F (10° C) and rising.
- Do not apply on rainy, foggy, or extremely humid days, or when rain is in the forecast within 24 hours.
- If the pavement temperature is over 100° (38°C) dampen the pavement with a fine mist of water to facilitate even spreading. Do not allow water to puddle on the surface.