STAR ROAD-GUARDTM is a specialty coating, designed for road surfaces that have deteriorated over years of use. STAR ROAD-GUARDTM is an outstanding asphalt emulsion-based pavement coating that is far superior in performance compared to conventional surface treatments. STAR ROAD-GUARDTM delivers excellent cost savings compared to commonly used surface treatments like slurry sealing or micro surfacing. STAR ROAD-GUARDTM is formulated with tough rubber polymers, specialty chemicals and select mineral fillers which impart flexibility and durability to the coated pavement surfaces. The hot blending of rubber polymers in STAR ROAD-GUARDTM during the manufacturing process maximizes the performance properties of the sealer.
• STAR ROAD-GUARDTM is a unique product with an unconventional technological approach. It has far superior performance over conventional asphalt surface treatment products.
• It has outstanding flexibility, toughness and longevity. Apply to parking lots and roadways where traffic has damaged the asphalt surface prematurely.
• STAR ROAD-GUARDTM will produce a uniform rugged-textured surface that will improve the driving condition on an existing road surface that had deteriorated.
• It is certified to meet and/or exceed specifications for ASTMD-244,D-217, D-2042, D-3910, D-562, ASMA Standard Specification and Federal TTC-555B.
• STAR ROAD-GUARDTM delivers excellent value and cost savings compared to traditional surface treatments like slurry sealing, micro-surfacing, etc.
• Is water-based; safe to handle and store. Non-toxic and nearly odorless.
STAR ROAD-GUARDTM is recommended for all asphalt pavements particularly; Sub- division road surfaces, shopping center ring roads, business complex approaches, country roads, back lot/loading dock areas, highway shoulders, commercial parking lots, apartment complexes, walkways, golf cart pathways, theme parks and many more.
MIX DESIGN RECOMMENDATIONS
Important – All mix designs must include clean, quartz, angular sand/aggegrate
|STAR ROAD-GUARD||100 Gal.||100 Liters|
|Water (Clean, Potable)||10-20 Gal.||100 Liters|
|Sand/Aggregate 50-70 AFS*||600-800 Lbs.||72-96 Kg.|
* Crushed slag (i.e. Black Beauty) may be used as the aggregate, provided it is clean, angular and within 50-70 AFS gradation.
• Use conventional tools; Brush, rubber squeegee or spray rig.
• Clean up with Water. Do not discard washings in the bodies of water or down sewer drains. Discard washings in accordance to applicable local, state and federal and regulations.
• Dried sealer on tools – Wire brushing, scarping and peeling.
• Keep stored containers sealed tightly.
Must be applied to structurally sound pavements. Mix design and application parameters are subject to specifications dictated by the project engineer. Old and oxidized surfaces need to be primed with a suitable primer.
STAR ROAD-GUARDTM AS A STAND ALONE SEALER
Apply One (1) Coating per the mix design using the lower level addition of sand/aggregate to minimize sand rollout; the total coverage rate of 0.18 – 0.20 gal./sq. yd. or 45-50 sq. ft./gal. (1.1 – 1.22 sq. meter/liter).
FOR BEST RESULTS USE AS A SYSTEM
1. Apply One (1) Coat of STAR ROAD-GUARDTM per the Mix Design recommendations
at a total coverage rate of 0.25 – 0.28 Gal./Sq. Yd. or 32 – 36 Sq. Ft./Gal. (0.8 – 0.9 sq. meter/liter) of the concentrated sealer.
2. Apply a Second Coat as a Top Coat without using any sand at an application rate of 0.08 to 0.10 gal./sq. yd. (0.36 – 0.45 liter/sq. meter)
Each application of STAR ROAD-GUARDTM should be allowed to properly dry a minimum of 4 hours and the final coat for a minimum of 24 hours under good drying conditions before opening to traffic.
Cure time will vary according to temperature and humidity at the time of application. Insufficiently cured films wear prematurely. Lower temperatures, high humidity and lack of direct sunlight will prolong the cure time. Higher temperatures, lower humidity and direct sunlight accelerate the cure process. After the application of the last coat, allow the coating to cure at least 20-24 hours under good drying conditions.
Heavy sand loading in your mix design will require continuous agitation of the sealer in your application tanks. The bulk holding tank shall be agitated at least twice in 24 hrs. for min. 45 minutes each.
• Apply only on unsealed asphalt or surfaces previously sealed with either Asphalt Emulsion or Refined Tar based sealers.
• New asphalt pavements must be allowed to cure at least 90 days in hot weather. Perform a water break free test to confirm that the surface oils have dissipated.
• Using additives with STAR ROAD-GUARDTM is not normally necessary, however an additive may be useful under adverse drying conditions. Use only additives manufactured by S.T.A.R., Inc. Other additives may not be compatible with STAR ROAD-GUARDTM and may affect the consistancy of the mix and the performance of the finished product. Consult your STAR Manufacturing representative for recommendations.
KEEP FROM FREEZING / KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
Wear gloves and protective clothing. In case of contact, flush skin or eyes immediately with fresh water. If the product gets in the mouth or eyes see a physician immediately. Consult a Safety Data Sheet for details.
PACKAGING & AVAILABILITY
5-Gallon plastic pails, 55-gallon drums & 275-gallon plastic totes, and bulk at all STAR plant locations.
IMPORTANT WEATHER LIMITATIONS
• Surface and air temperature should be a min. 50° F (10° C) and rising.
• Do not apply on rainy, foggy, or extremely humid days, or when rain is in the forecast within 24 hours.
• If the pavement temperature is over 100° (38°C) dampen the pavement with a fine mist of water to facilitate even spreading. Do not allow water to puddle on the surface.