STAR AVIATOR is designed as a premium grade, Refined Tar emulsion (water based) sealcoating that is superior to other conventional FAA mix design sealers. STAR AVIATOR, as supplied, already contains the rubber necessary to meet FAA specifications. The rubber is “Hot Blended” during the manufacturing process to ensure that it is properly fused into the Refined Tar. Cold mixing simply does not achieve the same level of bonding to the tar particles. The superiority of STAR AVIATOR has been well established in the field for nearly two decades. STAR AVIATOR has been certified by an independent testing laboratory and compliance certification to FAA specifications is available upon request. STAR AVIATOR has toughness and flexibility at all temperatures as well as resistance to kerosene, gasoline, oil, chemicals and de-icing salts. The combination of state-of-the-art technology in manufacturing and raw material selection translates into the following:
• A Unique Product – No other product on the market has employed this unconventional, but highly effective manufacturing approach, yielding far superior performance than conventional FAA mix designs.
• Excellent Durability – STAR AVIATOR delivers outstanding performance demanded by engineers adhering to FAA specifications.
• Superior Flexibility – Ability to bridge minor surface (non-working) cracks in the pavement to eliminate water penetration and extend the life of runway, tarmac and apron surfaces.
• Dries to an appealing dark charcoal color that enhances the visibility of airfield markings. Snow removal becomes easier and runway markings last longer.
• Allows Mix Design Consistency – Rubber is the most critical component in FAA mix designs. Factory blending of the rubber in STAR AVIATOR assures the accuracy of the mix.
STAR AVIATOR is recommended for all airfield asphalt pavement surfaces including; runways, taxiways, fueling areas, aprons and vehicle parking lots.
MIX DESIGN RECOMMENDATIONS
Important – Consult FAA Specifications P-627, P-628, P-630 & P-631 for mix design and application rate. All mix designs must include clean, quartz, angular sand. The following is a commonly recommended mix design.
|STAR AVIATOR||100 Gal.||100 Liters|
|Water (Clean, Potable)||20 Gal. Max||20 Liters Max|
|Sand/Aggregate 50-70 AFS*||400-600 Lbs.||48-72 Kg.|
* Crushed slag (i.e. Black Beauty) may be used as the aggregate, provided
it is clean, angular and within 50-70 AFS gradation.
The use of an additive is optional, follow STAR’s recommendations
Must be applied to structurally sound pavements. The application rates shall be dictated by the traffic pattern and usage. Consult FAA Specifications P-627, P-628, P-630 & P-631
1. For Low to Medium Traffic Areas Apply Two (2) Coats:
a) Concentrated Sealer – the total coverage rate of 0.18 – 0.20 Gal./Sq. Yd. or 45 – 50 Sq. Ft./Gal. (1.1 – 1.22 Sq. Meter/Liter).
b) Mixed Sealer – 0.26 – 0.29 Gal./Sq. Yd. or 31 – 35 Sq. Ft./Gal. (0.76 – 0.86 Sq. Meter/Liter).
2 For High Traffic Areas Apply Three (3) Coats:
a) Concentrated Sealer – the total coverage rate of 0.25 – 0.28 Gal./Sq. Yd. or 32 – 36 Sq. Ft./Gal. (0.8 – 0.9 Sq. Meter/Liter).
b) Mixed Sealer – 0.36 – 0.40 Gal./Sq. Yd. or 23 – 25 Sq. Ft./Gal. (0.56 – 0.61 Sq. Meter/Liter).
• Use conventional tools; Brush, rubber squeegee or spray rig.
• Clean up with Water. Do not discard washings in the bodies of water or down sewer drains.
• Dried sealer on tools – Wire brushing, scarping and peeling.
• Keep stored containers sealed tightly.
Cure time will vary according to temperature and humidity at the time of application. Insufficiently cured films wear prematurely. Lower temperatures, high humidity and lack of direct sunlight will prolong the cure time. Higher temperatures, lower humidity and direct sunlight accelerate the cure process. If a second coat is to be applied, allow the first coat to dry sufficiently to withstand light vehicular and pedestrian traffic without damaging or scuffing the coating. After the application of the last coat, allow the coating to cure at least 20-24 hours under good drying conditions prior to opening to traffic.
Apply only on unsealed asphalt or surfaces previously sealed with either Asphalt Emulsion or Refined Tar based sealers. Do not apply over surfaces sealed with gilsonite and other solvent based seal coatings. New asphalt pavements must be allowed to cure at least 90 days in hot weather. Perform a water break free test to confirm that the surface oils have dissipated, by spreading water on the pavement. If the water does not bead, pavement is ready for seal-coating. Not recommended for steeply inclined surfaces, as they may become slippery when wet.
KEEP FROM FREEZING / KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
Contains REFINED COAL TAR. May cause skin irritation. Wear gloves and protective clothing. In case of contact, flush skin or eyes immediately with fresh water. If the product gets in the mouth or eyes see a physician immediately. Consult a Safety Data Sheet for details.
PACKAGING & AVAILABILITY
5-Gallon plastic pails, 55-gallon drums & 275-gallon plastic totes, and bulk at all STAR plant locations.
IMPORTANT WEATHER LIMITATIONS
- Surface and air temperature should be a min. 50° F (10° C) and rising.
- Do not apply on rainy, foggy, or extremely humid days, or when rain is in the forecast within 24 hours.
- If the pavement temperature is over 100° (38°C) dampen the pavement with a fine mist of water to facilitate even spreading. Do not allow water to puddle on the surface.