STAR MACRO-FLEX is a true rubberizing, A/B (Acrylonitrile/ Butadiene) latex-based additive that significantly improves the performance of sealcoatings based on Specialty Petroleum Resins, Refined Tar (RTS) and Asphalt Emulsion based sealcoatings. STAR MACRO-FLEX reinforces sealcoatings in the most desirable aspects of toughness, flexibility, viscosity for sand suspension and overall resistance to petrochemicals and de-icing salts.
• Toughens the sealer film and improves tensile strength thus reducing power steering marks, scuffing and tearing. Improves flexibility and adhesion of the cured sealer film to the existing surface. Improves fuel and chemical resistance of the cured film.
• Improves flexibility and the ability to bridge minor surface (non- working) cracks in the pavement to eliminate water penetration and extend the life of asphalt surfaces.
• Boosts the viscosity of the diluted sealer and enables it to suspend large quantities of sand effectively and uniformly. Eliminates sand roll out, and the streaky appearance of a cured coating. Finished jobs will have a more uniform-textured appearance.
• Speeds up the drying time of sealcoatings.
• The addition of STAR MACRO-FLEX can allow a Refined Tar mix design the ability to meet FAA Specifications.
• Based on a polymer-emulsion; safe to handle and use. No health hazards have been reported.
STAR MACRO-FLEX is recommended for applications where moderate to high traffic exists or environments with frequent abuse from harsh chemicals, de-icing salts, kerosene, gasoline, oils, petrochemicals, fat and grease. Used in applications at; Airport Runways and Taxiways, Fast Food Restaurants, Apartment Buildings, Truck Service Plazas, Gas Stations, Commercial and Industrial Complexes, Residential Driveways and many more.
MIX DESIGN RECOMMENDATIONS
2-5% STAR MACRO-FLEX by volume of the concentrated sealer
IT IS NECESSARY to pre-dilute STAR MACRO-FLEX
|Sealcoating||100 Gal.||100 Liters|
|Water (Clean, Potable)||50 Gal. Max||50 Liters Max|
|Sand/Aggregate 50-70 AFS*||300-500 Lbs.||36-60 Kg.|
|STAR MACRO-FLEX/Water (1:1)||2-5 Gal||2-5 Liters|
• Add water to the sealer and start agitation
• IMPORTANT: Pre-mix STAR MACRO-FLEX with an equal volume of water. Caution – Water must be added into to STAR MACRO-FLEX, not vice-versa
• With agitation on, add the STAR MACRO-FLEX/water mixture to the diluted sealer and continue mixing for 5 minutes.
• Add the sand slowly, at a steady rate of about 100-lb. bag/minute.
• Continue to mix to a smooth consistency. Adjust the speed of mixer to turn the sealer mix sufficiently inside the tank without beating air into the mix. You may have to raise the speed during sand addition and reduce towards the end of the mix cycle.
• Do not add more than 5% of STAR MACRO-FLEX. Beyond this limit, it will not add any performance benefit. Conversely, it may thin down the sealer mix.
• Do not add more sand than 5 lb./gallon of the concentrated sealer. Higher amounts of sand reduce the flexibility and adhesion of the cured sealer.
• Keep the water dilution rate below 50%. Excessive amounts of water will cut down the dry sealer film thickness, which in turn will result in pre-mature failure.
• Mix thoroughly before using and keep unused container properly sealed.
• Using other additives or additives manufactured by companies other than STAR, Inc in conjunction with this product might produce undesirable results. Consult your STAR representative for recommendations.
KEEP FROM FREEZING / KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
Wear gloves and protective clothing. In case of contact, flush skin or eyes immediately with fresh water. If the product gets in the mouth or eyes see a physician immediately. Consult a Safety Data Sheet for details.
PACKAGING & AVAILABILITY
5-Gallon plastic pails, 55-gallon drums and 275-gallon plastic totes at all STAR plant locations.
IMPORTANT WEATHER LIMITATIONS
- Surface and air temperature should be a min. 50° F (10° C) and rising.
- Do not apply on rainy, foggy, or extremely humid days (max 80%), or when rain is in the forecast within 8 hours.
- Most favorable conditions are; humidity less than 60%, higher temperatures and lower relative humidity with mild wind velocity.